Improve your Health and Enjoy your Life: The Engaging Messages of Medical Spam
Messages of health, happiness, and longevity. Who could resist?
When I peruse my spam folder, I am struck by the creatively crafted and enticing subject lines promising me doctor-approved help; that I can bypass doctors forever; that my doctor is hiding cures from me; or that I can buy a list of every doctor and dentist in the US. Of course, these messages are mixed in with those offering me new academic credentials or Rolex watches, or written in languages I can’t even identify. Interestingly, with the exception of creative misspellings of pharmaceuticals, the health spam tends to be spelled accurately, unlike the educational messages.
Here are some recent eye-catching subject lines:
- Improve your health and enjoy your life!
- Your last chance to become healthier
- The latest developments in medical science
- Relieve yourself from health problems
- What They Don’t Want You to Know What it Does to Your Body!
- 300,000 People die every year in USA of Obesity ….. Are you Next ???
- Never have to see a doctor to get a prescription again
- Get filled with health and gladness!
- Stop suffering from diseases!
- Dont let paim and ilness happen in your life.
I wonder how many people are enticed by this medical spam, bypassing their common sense. Clearly this is a problem with some documented cases of people who purchased online degrees, as described in Degrees by Mail: Look What You Can Buy for only $499. I especially worry about how medical spam might attract people with poor information literacy skills who are not healthy and want easy solutions.